San Francisco, CA 94102
We are a modern, state of the art outpatient surgery center located in the heart of San Francisco. We are in search of a hybrid role: Medical Biller & Surgery Scheduler.We are looking for individuals who have extensive in-network and out-of-network appeal experience.
Please note that this is a hybrid position where responsibilities will include checking in patients in the morning from 6:00am - 8:30am, followed by working on billing and appeals afterwards. The shift is Monday through Fridays from 6:00am - 2:30pm.
This position reports directly to the Surgery Center Administrator.
- Process all insurance claims, (i.e., private, Medicare, Workers' Compensation, PPO and HMO, including secondary claims). All claims will be coded with CPT and ICD-10 codes according to the findings in the medical record. The claims will be mailed to the third-party payers.
- Pre-registration and registration of patients (i.e. entering insurance and demographic information, consent forms, etc into HIS system)
- Notifying patients of insurance coverage and copay/coinsurance responsibilities
- Receiving and directing calls
- Assembles patient charts, filing, ordering and other front office duties
- Verification of benefits
- Accepting and posting payments
- Monthly statement to patients
- Secondary insurance filings
- Working with the transcription service
- Completion of the deposit slip.
- All medical records will be checked for chart deficiencies and stored in the medical record room.
- Understand managed care contracts and reimbursement process.
- Welcomes patients, families, physicians and visitors to the surgery center either in person or over the phone
- Work directly with clinical staff members to understand the lengths of procedures, room availability, and needs of special supplies
- One to three years of experience in the healthcare industry with third-party reimbursement, coding and collections, and public contact.
- Computer experience required for billing, word-processing, and spreadsheet entry.
- High School graduate or equivalent.
- Medical terminology and coding courses.
- Preferred: Experience with Amkai Office or HST
- Current BLS Certification preferred, not required
- Ability to read and interpret documents in English such as safety rules, operating andmaintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively beforegroups of customers or employees of organization. Additional languages preferred.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percentand to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Must be able to communicate effectively over the phone, in writing and in person.
- Participates in opportunities of continuing education.
- Demonstrates the ability to utilize recognized channels of communication.
- Demonstrates the ability to maintain good interpersonal relationships with patients, co workers, and other health team members.